Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:24:01 -0600 (MDT)

    This assumes that only one thread is running at a time.  It wouldn't
    work for a machine with multiple CPUs where threads can run at the
    same time and the concept of a "thread switch" does not exist.  Maybe
    we don't want to care about this, which I would be very happy with.

It is useful for Guile to support real parallel execution of threads,
but it is not important for Emacs.  Having multiple threads in Emacs
will be very useful, but it is perfectly adequate if only one thread
can run at a time.  It is not worth accepting any inconvenience in
Emacs to support parallel execution.  Instead, Guile should provide a
way that Emacs can turn it off.

In fact, it would simplify matters greatly if Emacs can specify where
a thread switch may occur.  Is that implemented in Guile?