nmake update-subdirs does not work with CMD.EXE

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: nmake update-subdirs does not work with CMD.EXE
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:40:52 +0200

This change to lisp/Makefile.w32-in:

> ***************
> *** 278,284 ****
>
>   # Generate/update files for the bootstrap process.
>
> ! bootstrap: autoloads compile-files custom-deps
>
>   #
>   # Assuming INSTALL_DIR is defined, copy the elisp files to it
> --- 338,344 ----
>
>   # Generate/update files for the bootstrap process.
>
> ! bootstrap: update-subdirs autoloads compile finder-data custom-deps
>
>   #
>   # Assuming INSTALL_DIR is defined, copy the elisp files to it

breaks bootstraping on W2K when not using sh/bash because

nmake update-subdirs

does *not* work with the stock CMD.EXE. The result is a subdir.el
containing:

> ;; In load-path, after this directory should come
> ;; certain of its subdirectories. Here we specify them.
> (normal-top-level-add-to-load-path '())

For some reason or other, the method used to build the subdirectory list
(assigning to an environment variable) does not work right. I tried to
make it work in CMD.EXE and COMMAND.COM, but I couldn't. I suspect we'll
end having to maintain a separate list similar to WINS.

And BTW, why does WINS not contain calc/ and obsolete/? AFAICS they're
used on other environments.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u