Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:35:04 -0600 (MDT)

    > This is unacceptable unless the emacs-unicode changes are almost ready
    > for real installation.

    I'm not sure I understand why.

Because we don't want to force all new features after today into the
emacs-unicode version if that version is not ready for release just as
soon as everything else we are going to add.

    The trunk is where the main activity should take place, so as soon as
    emacs-unicode is stable enough for other people (even if uninterested
    in unicode) to hack on, it should be merged.

As soon as it basically does the same jobs that the older code does,
and works as well as things in the trunk normally should work,
it can be installed in the trunk.

I do not know how close it is to that point now.