Re: Emacs appears to hang

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Emacs appears to hang
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:43:11 +0000 (UTC)

Today's CVS snapshot, Thu, 2002 Jul 18  11:4 UTC,
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.113 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
with patch to xdisp.c from address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
starting Emacs with:

    emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

   The second bug ... bring up NEWS, activate ruler-mode and scroll
   down. Once the cursor reaches the bottom line, the redisplay starts
   to behave incorrectly.

I tried this and may have seen the bug when I was changing margins
and fill columns.  In any case, the bug is not obvious to me, who
has never used ruler-mode.

Please tell us how to create the bug so it's existence is more
obvious.

I think this will help get other people, some of whom may not have
much experience with ruler-mode, to fix the bug.

(By the way, ruler-mode is rather neat, I think I will use it when I
want to change the value of my fill column.  At the moment, however,
ruler-mode is setting the fill-column to two places less than the
location of my pointer on the ruler.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com