Re: Current Tramp plans

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Current Tramp plans
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 19:28:10 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> * The longterm goal is to unify the Tramp and Ange-FTP filenames, and
>   to use a format for the filenames which is a superset of the
>   Ange-FTP format.

Some time ago, I asked you to test whether the Tramp and Ange-FTP
filename integration works.  Kim has responded with a bug which I
hope to have fixed soon (if it isn't fixed already).  So now is the
time to discuss how to proceed.  Please holler if you disagree with
any of the following.

On Emacs, the default will be to unify the filenames.  On XEmacs, the
default will be not to unify, as the XEmacs maintainers don't like
the unification.

If we want to be on the safe side, then Tramp should assume all
filenames that look like "/address@hidden:path" are Ange-FTP filenames.
This means Emacs behaves as before, and people can customize
tramp-default-method-alist and tramp-default-method to change this
behavior.

If we want to encourage use of Tramp, we could use Tramp by default in
many cases, and Ange-FTP only in some cases.  For example, hosts
matching "^ftp\\." could invoke Ange-FTP (regardless of the user
name), and the users "anonymous" and "ftp" could also invoke Ange-FTP
(regardless of the host name).

Of course, in both cases, people can just specify an explicit method
to override this default decision.

What do you want?

kai