Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 18:31:19 -0500

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) wrote:
<snip>
> The CVS version and the pretest should use the same minor number as
> the next release.  That's the only consistent numbering scheme.

I assume by ``consistent'' you mean ``roughly indicating the feature
set by the major/minor version number''?  In other words, interpret a
major/minor pair as indicating a feature set, and assign each release
the major/minor pair indicating its feature set most closely.  With
that meaning, I think a coherent argument could be made that we should
be conservative, and assign each release the largest major/minor pair
indicating a feature set /completely containing/ the feature set of
the release.  That would dictate giving CVS versions the minor number
of the preceding release.

For a concrete example, suppose in Emacs 21.5 customize options and
groups get a new :file keyword giving a file name to store the
option's setting in.  (I.e., Tramp could add :file ".tramp" to the
tramp defgroup, and Tramp's settings would be stored in ~/.tramp.)
Suppose this option were added on 2002 October 23.  Now, assume
someone is running CVS Emacs as of 2002 October 22 (version
21.5.-99.3).  He installs a third-party package you've released, which
wants to know if :file is supported, and use it if it is.  So, your
package tests emacs-minor-version, and determines it is 5.
Conclusion: customize supports :file.  Reality: customize doesn't
support :file.  Not good.

<snip>

> --
> Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> http://www.cua.dk