Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 18:16:08 -0500

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Perhaps we can use planned gaps in minor version numbers.  For
> instance, maybe the next non-bug-fix release should be Emacs 21.10.
> That way, we can fix the number now.  We certainly won't get past
> 21.9 with bug-fix releases.

I don't like this idea---leaving gaps in the version numbers would be
confusing for users on two counts:

1. Users would think ``hey, they went from 21.3 to 21.10---did I miss
   something?''

2. Once users learn we're /intentionally/ leaving gaps in the version
   numbers, they might suspect we're trying to make it seem like more
   work is going into Emacs than actually is.  That's not good.

> This is not fundamentally different from inserting an additional
> number after the major version,

Why?  I think one is less similar to what users expect than the
current scheme, while one is more similar.  That seems like a fairly
fundamental difference.

> as if the current version were 21.1.2 and the next non-bug-fix would
> be 21.2.1.  But it is less of a change than that.

Neither one is a big change technically.  On the other hand, leaving
gaps would, IMO /seem/ like a bigger change to users, and a change for
the worse.

> Also, we can leave a gap on occasion, but we don't have to do it all
> the time.

Do you mean we would try to predict when a gap may be needed, and only
leave one then?  I fear human fallibility in that case.

Jon Cast