Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 21:07:30 +0200

> And, with your argument, what's the relative importance of integrating
> Guile, when Emacs already has a fine and tested extension language?
> Why replace something that works, instead of focusing on developing
> new features more oriented towards the *user*, as oposed as the
> developer (who's the only one that will, perhaps, get any improvement
> from Guile)? The hundred of thousands of users implied in your message
> aren't interested in programming Emacs, just using it and customizing
> it (through Customize).

One very important benefit for users if Guile is implemented is that it
is the official extension language for GNU.  A single extension
language would benefit not just Emacs users, but all GNU users.

IMO, one of the biggest weaknesses of the GNU system is the hodge-podge
of extension languages and config-file formats.  Other systems are no
better of course, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a worthwhile goal
for GNU.  And if Emacs started using it, I belive it would give more
momentum for Guile.

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el