Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:18:06 -0400

> > That when it was decided that 21.3 would also be a bugfix release,
> > several :version and make-obsolete statements had to be updated to
> > say "21.4" instead of "21.3".  A quick grep shows that not all of
> > the occurrences have been updated yet.
>
> You do realize this cannot happen with either my scheme or yours,
> right?  So it has nothing to do with which scheme is adopted.

I understand that my scheme is AA.BB while yours is A.A.BB.
The use of BB as the "bugfix" indicator is common to both proposals
and that's the one I mostly care about.

If people prefer using CC.AA.BB, that's fine by me, but as far as I'm concerned
the distinction between major and really-major releases is too fuzzy
to be worth the trouble.

All I care about is that each CVS branch have its own "major" number
so it is independent from the others.  Whether those numbers
look like AA or A.A (i.e. "22" or "22.2") is not really important
to me and (I believe) in general.
Since I find it unimportant, I don't think it's worth the trouble
(since it would be a change that requires hacking).

        Stefan