Re: Results of C-x C-q poll

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Results of C-x C-q poll
Date: 01 Jul 2002 23:10:48 +0200

> It seems to me that the solution of making C-x C-q do
> toggle-read-only, and having it print a message in the case of a
> VC-controlled file, does the best to satisfy all the various wishes
> users expressed.

More than half of those who responded prefer the existing behaviour,
so I don't see how removing the functionality will satify their
wishes.  I didn't see any clear conclusion from the poll, except
that people disagree on this feature.

IMO, the compromise solution must be to make this configurable:

- C-x C-q is option (3), but warns if VC-controlled file
- C-x C-q is option (2) [only if CVSREAD=y] *)
- C-x C-q is option (1) [current behaviour] *)

*) But C-u C-x C-q still just does toggle-read-only.