Re: call-process vs start-process

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: call-process vs start-process
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:15:42 -0400

>     When using `start-process' the child process seems to be killed by a
>     SIGHUP from emacs. Is this OK? Is emacs supposed to send SIGHUP to the
>     child process?
>
> I believe this is normal.  Emacs does not explicitly send SIGHUP.  It
> probably results from Emacs's closing the pty.

Indeed, I think it's difficult for Emacs to fix your problem without
introducing others in other circumstances.  Instead, `xdvi' should be
changed to explicitly ignore SIGHUP after the fork.  After all,
the same problem can happen if you open an xterm, run the xdvi command
and close the xterm after the `xdvi' command returns but before the
forked `xdvi' process terminates (which usually wouldn't happen because
the time window is short, but if the machine is heavily loaded or if
the forked `xdvi' ends up having to wait for something like the Xserver,
this can happen).

        Stefan