Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:49:15 -0500

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> wrote:

> So perhaps we need a new variable that controls this?  "buffers are
> documents" or something like that.  :) I vote this be default t, to
> protect newbies.

Why not make switch-to-buffer prompt ``do you want to keep this buffer
around'' when invoked interactively?  That will:

a. Help educate users about the difference between ``buffers'' and
``documents''/``files''.

b. Help out users like Alex whose thought patterns don't mesh well
with ``always use C-x C-f to get a persistent buffer.''

Jon Cast