Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:59:32 -0600 (MDT)

    But I'm not so happy about auto-detecting which program should be used
    to connect to the remote host.  Suppose that Tramp tries "ssh", then
    "ssh -2", then "ssh -1", then "rlogin", then "telnet" and possibly
    also the Kerberized login programs.  First of all, waiting for a
    timeout from all these programs could take a long time.

I had a feeling that might be the case.  Autodetection is only a
feasible solution to the problem of choosing the program if it can be
done reasonably fast.

Bob suggests autodetection might be ok for a certain usual set of
programs.  What do you think?