how to find out methods for tramp?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: how to find out methods for tramp?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:42:45 +0000 (UTC)

Kai just added `tramp' to the latest GNU Emacs CVS.

How do I find out which methods to use for tramp connections?

Using today's CVS snapshot of Mon, 2002 Jun 17  15:19 UTC,
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.42 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit),
started with:

    emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

and

    (require 'tramp)

I can successfully use tramp to connect remotely to

    fencepost.gnu.org

with
    (setq tramp-default-method "smx")
which is `ssh' with `mimencode'

But I failed to connect to two other machines, to both of which I can
connect using ssh:

My ISP, a Sun box, called `titan'"

    SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-08 sun4u sparc
    has  uuencode but not mimencode

    I tried smx, sm, su, and tu  and failed with tramp.

With     (setq tramp-default-method "su")

for example, I was shown a login and the process was immediately
killed:

    <address@hidden> ~ $
    Process *tramp/su titan.berkshire.net* killed

    I can connect to titan from an xterm using `ssh'

My sister's box, an i586

    GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18
    has mimencode
    running OpenSSH_3.0.2p1 Debian 1:3.0.2p1-9,
       SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090603f
      and permits remote connections using only protocol 2

    I tried smx and sm and failed with tramp.

    I can connect to this box from an xterm using `ssh -2'

Here are the results for tramp:

With:

    (setq tramp-default-method "smx")
    (setq tramp-su-args nil)

        Protocol major versions differ: 1 vs. 2
        Process *tramp/smx 24.161.120.95* exited abnormally with code 255

With:

    (setq tramp-default-method "smx")
    (setq tramp-su-args -2)

        tramp-open-connection-rsh: Couldn't find remote shell or passwd prompt

With:

    (setq tramp-default-method "sm")
    (setq tramp-su-args -2)

        tramp-open-connection-rsh: Couldn't find remote shell or passwd prompt

Thank you.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com