Re: new text property

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new text property
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:30:59 -0400

>     Miles> Which obstacles are those?
>
> If I knew, I'd say.
>
> What I do know is that font-lock itself has a minimum of five
> implementations (font-lock, font-lock-cache, lazy-lock, lazy-shot, and
> jit-lock).

font-lock-cache, lazy-lock, lazy-shot, and jit-lock and 4 different
implementations of various mechanisms to try and reduce the amount
of work that font-lock does.  They are mostly orthogonal to font-lock
itself and they are in no way reimplementations of font-lock.

> Primitive highlighting has at least three interfaces
> (overlays, text properties, extents).  This looks like an area ripe
> for consolidation, not proliferation, of APIs to me.

`extents' are the consolidation, aren't they ?

        Stefan