Re: new text property

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new text property
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:28:37 -0400

> > Don't get hung up on the traditional conflation of the font-lock UI
> > with the mechanism used to implement it; it's really not necessary.
>
> Why not?  Font-lock is not only about the hairy regexps that implement
> it; it's also about respecting the settings for font-lock-*-face and
> variables such as font-lock-maximum-decoration,
> font-lock-auto-fontify, font-lock-maximum-size, etc.

You forgot jit-lock (aka lazy-shot).

> A highlighting
> mechanism that doesn't respect any of those has no reason to be bound
> by `M-x font-lock-mode' either.

Agreed.  I proposed a new `highlighting-mode' (or some other name,
I can't remember) instead of moving code out of font-lock.el to
font-core.el (I hate moving code, among other things because it makes
CVS much less useful) but for some reason it was not retained.  I didn't
(and still don't) have time/energy to follow the whole discussion, tho.

        Stefan "font-lock hacker"