Re: autosave

From: Peter Blicher
Subject: Re: autosave
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:53:24 -0400 (EDT)

   Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 09:19:03 -0600 (MDT)
   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   cc: address@hidden

       When unable to create (or write to?) some autosave dir .emacs.d or below,
       retries forever.  This occurred when I was running with a home dir that I
       couldn't write to (because I was root on a different machine).  Never had
       this problem in versions 20.4 and before.

   Would you please supply a precise test case so we can reproduce this?
   Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual, which provides
   guidelines on how to write a bug report to give us the
   necessary information so we can fix the bug.

I've read the bugs sections many times over many years.  This was the best I
could do under the circumstances.  If I get time, I will try to get you
better info.

However, if someone sent me such a bug report, what I would do is take a look
at the code that does auto-save, and see what it does when it tries to create
or access the directories mentioned.  If that code has changed since the
previous major release, I would take a closer look.  I would consider what
would happen if it did not have adequate permissions for places it wanted to
write to or create or check the existence of directories in.

--peter

--
A. Peter Blicher        NEC Research Institute
609-951-2716            4 Independence Way