Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 01 Jun 2002 08:26:31 +0900

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> > Hmmm, sounds ... expensive ...
>
> Why?  It would only be looked up when the property is found in more
> than 1 place which should be the exception rather than the rule.

Probably not so common for general buffer faces, but for instance,
consider some sort of draggable region that would be implemented using
an overlay -- when you drag the mouse over a font-locked buffer,
suddenly it happens very often, in a situation where speed is fairly
important.

> And the lookup shouldn't be much worse than the default-text-properties
> lookup (or the lookup inside the list of properties of a given overlay or
> of a given text-prop-interval).
>
> Or do you mean the `append' itself ?

I think plist lookups are very cheap, but things like `append' cons, and
even worse, if it called a lisp function...

Anyway, I obviously don't have any hard numbers, it's just my spider
sense tingling...  [no I didn't see that movie]

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin