Re: kill ring menu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:30:30 -0400

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> > Maybe we could have a `text-property-merge-method-alist' which
> > could associate each property with a method to use to merge them
> > when they appear several times.  By default it would have value
> > '((face . append)) where the `append' means that the various
> > properties are combined by appending them (and turning any non-list
> > into a list before doing that).
>
> Hmmm, sounds ... expensive ...

Why?  It would only be looked up when the property is found in more
than 1 place which should be the exception rather than the rule.
And the lookup shouldn't be much worse than the default-text-properties
lookup (or the lookup inside the list of properties of a given overlay or
of a given text-prop-interval).

Or do you mean the `append' itself ?

        Stefan