Emacs mode for GDB - 2 questions

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Emacs mode for GDB - 2 questions
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:19:11 +0100

I have updated the mode for Emacs, gdb.el, that I am writing. It acts as a
GUI for gdb and I have reported it previously on this mailing list. Changes
include :

Two features adapted from gdb.el in XEmacs-21.4 :

1) A buffer to display expressions which is similar to the other buffers
(locals, breakpoints etc) i.e based on gdba.el (`gud-frame-display-buffer'
which can be found on the menu-bar under GDB-Frames)

2) A hypertext help buffer which uses the interactive help within gdb. This
feature has never been part of gdba.el, as far as I know.

and

3) Completion of gdb commands now works.

4) Numerous minor changes

It can be downloaded from http://www.nick.uklinux.net and the current version
will always be at gdbel.tgz.

In relation to this work, I have two questions :

1) I wish to use the same icon for enabled and disabled breakpoints (like
buttons on the toolbar that can be `greyed out' to show that they have been
disabled). However :

(insert-image '(image :file "/home/nick/circle.xpm" :type xpm) "breakpoint
symbol")
(insert-image '(image :file "/home/nick/circle.xpm" :type xpm :algorithm
"laplace") "breakpoint symbol")
(insert-image '(image :file "/home/nick/circle.xpm" :type xpm :algorithm
'laplace) "breakpoint symbol")

all give the same result. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong ?

2) I want to format the displayed expressions more tidily. In particular
I would like to show array slices and the header line would be a good
place to do this e.g.

Where start, end and step are in editable fields. Could emacs be given this
feature easily ? I guess a related question is does any body else see a need
for this feature ?

Nick