Re: emacs misbehaves without --unibyte

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: emacs misbehaves without --unibyte
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:11:23 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

    For some reason, many systems have file-name-coding-system set to nil by
    default (I never had time to find out why), which is bad mantra.

This is because nil is the default setting for
`file-name-coding-system' when for

    emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

from today's CVS snapshot, 2002 May 29 12:39 UTC,
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.7 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)

It turns out that the documentation for `file-name-coding-system' says

    If it is nil, `default-file-name-coding-system' (which see) is used.

And the default value for `default-file-name-coding-system' is also
nil.

The documentation for `default-file-name-coding-system' refers back
to the documentation for `file-name-coding-system' in a circular loop.

What would be a good value to provide `default-file-name-coding-system'?
It seems odd to:

    (set-language-environment 'English)

[Hmmm... in my test instance of Emacs, the preceding expression does
not change the reported value of `default-file-name-coding-system'; is
this a bug in Emacs or am I doing something wrong?]

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com