Re: defvar vs setqif..

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: defvar vs setqif..
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:33:22 -0600 (MDT)

    > An example: my .emacs needs to, say, (add-hook 'foo-mode-hook... ),
    > but the hook may not be defined, so i (defvar foo-mode-hook) before
    > this statement.

    Why do you defvar it?  The best solution is to (require 'foo-mode)
    before adding the hook.

That is often a costly solution, because it forces loading of
foo-mode.el.  If you package always needs foo-mode, the price must be
paid anyway.  But when it does not always need foo-mode, you should
not require it at load time.