Re: kill ring menu

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 16 May 2002 21:06:04 -0400

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 17:47, Colin Walters wrote:

> I'll need to think about this some more; the best solution is not
> obvious to me.

Okay.  I don't think the category approach is going to work.

So I went back to thinking about Miles' suggestion.  The problem with
making display of `face' properties dependent on the value of the
`font-lock-mode' variable (or another variable controlled by font-lock)
is that it isn't strictly backwards compatible.  If a mode not
distributed with Emacs puts faces on manually, but doesn't enable
`font-lock-mode', then the defaults will be changed.  And I think there
are other corner cases that will be changed too.

Therefore, the attached patch creates a new text property
`font-lock-face'.  Modes can use this instead of the `face' property,
and display of those faces is controlled by the value of the
`font-lock-mode' variable.  Conceptually, I think this is actually a
pretty small change; there are already a number of bits in the Emacs
core specifically for font lock; e.g. the `fontified' property and
`fontification-functions'.

`font-lock-face' is also much more straightforward to use (from a
programmer standpoint) than the category approach.

Also, I think this will be pretty easy for the XEmacs people to
implement as well; that way, eventually, portable code can use this
approach.