Re: Customize fringe

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Customize fringe
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 21:46:29 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>> Either you have a fringe or you don't.  Same as menubar and toolbar.
>> Size, content, color etc is additional configuration.  IMHO.  But I
>> see your point.
>
> My point was that, unlike menus or toolbars, people will _usually_ want to
> do something besides turning fringes entirely on or off (presuming they
> want to do anything at all), and that as a result, having `fringe-mode' +
> adjustments is the wrong user-interface to this functionality.

Ok.  I based the design from what I wanted out of it.  If other people
want to do more fine tuned things, I guess it is easy to add.

> Note that this is unlike the closest analogue (I think), scrollbars --
> it's common for people to want to simply turn scrollbars on or off, but
> the scrollbar location is merely a detail.

I disagree -- I rather disable the scrollbar than to have on the left.
The location is not a detail.

> I expect a common case for the fringes, though will to be to want to
> toggle between full-fringes and right-side-only.  This simply doesn't map
> well to the name `fringe-mode'.

Compare with scroll-bar-mode and menu-bar-mode, is it really that
different?  Given scroll-bar-mode and menu-bar-mode in the past, I'd
go look for a fringe-mode to customize the fringes, but maybe that's
just me.

> As to what the right interface is, I'm not really sure; I guess it depends
> a lot on what people want to do with the fringes (personally, I think
> they're fine, though I might want to use half/half if we could get it to
> use some alternate bitmaps for that case).

I want on/off, you suggested half/half and left only and right only.
Are there more?

>> If I didn't preload it, my fringes didn't go away when I started
>> emacs.  I had to (require 'fringe).  Maybe I did something wrong?  It
>> looks similar to tool-bar-mode, scroll-bar-mode etc though.
>
> That sort of detail should be taken care of by the dependencies in your
> defcustoms.  [e.g., with the :require parameter]

I'll try to do it some other way -- that part was cut'n'paste from how
scroll-bar-mode handled customize.