Re: Insert Euro symbol

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Insert Euro symbol
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 17:02:17 +0200

>     The "systematic simplification" I have in mind would be that C-x 8
>     offers both prefix-style sequences and postfix-style sequences:
>
>       C-x 8 ' e
>       C-x 8 e '
>
> Your suggestions all seem advantageous if one assumes that C-x 8 will
> continue to be a separate feature.
>
> But we had the very attractive suggestion that C-x 8 should invoke an
> alternate input method, with the user selecting which input method.
> (The default might be latin-1-prefix.)  I don't see how these ideas
> could fit together with that idea.

My suggestion is: C-x 8 should invoke an alternate input method, and
the user can select which input method that should be.

But the default should not be latin-1-prefix.  Instead, in addition to
the input methods latin-*-prefix and latin-*-postfix, create a new
input method.  Make C-x 8 default to that new input method.

The new input method would be constructed by the union of
latin-*-prefix and latin-*-postfix.  So people used to *-prefix and
people used to *-postfix will feel right at home.

Does this make it clearer?
kai
--
Silence is foo!