Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 09:43:44 -0400

> > It later occured to me that I don't see a good reason for extended the
> > Info format with these capabilities -- there is a perfectly fine
> > format for text with hyperlinks and images called HTML (I hope that
> > doesn't come as a suprise to anyone) and making a viewer in Emacs for
> > texi2html converted manuals similar to Info is IMHO a better
> > solution.
>
> Using HTML is IMHO a much worse solution, since HTML doesn't support
> features like index searches without which a manual cannot be easily
> used as a reference.  That is, if you need to quickly find information

As far as I can tell, there's nothing very specific in the info
format for indices.  There's just a convention that the top node
should have one or more entries with names like "Foo Index" and that
those subnodes should be made up of just one large menu of xrefs.
The same could be done for HTML, I'm sure.

What bothers me more is that HTML seems much less amenable to
regexp-searching than the info format and if we can't use regexp-searching
that means we need to do real parsing and that's going to be *much* slower.
But maybe I'm wrong.  Simon should feel free to try and implement it.

        Stefan