Re: kill ring menu

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 03 May 2002 16:20:20 -0400

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 15:05, Miles Bader wrote:

> I think it would be very easy to accidentally get the menu.  You usually
> use the M-y command in a series (to move through the kill-ring), and
> it's not uncommon to mistype it if you're really using `ESC y' and
> accidentally hit another key in between two M-ys.  Getting the error
> message in such a circumstance is a little annoying, but being popped
> into a new buffer would drive me nuts.

Well, you can just type 'q' in that case.  I mean, it might take some
getting used to, but for people new to Emacs I think it would be a big
win.

>  That seems like too high a penalty for a common typo.

Well, to me, what we should ask is whether or not the added
functionality is worth the cost of that typo.

Personally, I've more or less altogether stopped using M-y repeatedly to
yank text.  It requires holding down Meta, whereas just doing
'M-y n n n RET' is much nicer on my fingers.

> It also just seems a little odd to have the radically different behavior
> depending on whether it followed C-y or not, and it seems like it would
> make M-y kind of hard to explain -- I still think of it as a separate
> command, even if it's only really useful following C-y.

True, but we're rather stuck with the keybindings at this point.

> So, I'm against putting this mode on M-y.

That's too bad.  Does anyone else like the idea?