Re: address@hidden: Re: CC (was: Re: kill ring menu)]

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: CC (was: Re: kill ring menu)]
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 12:45:23 +0200

Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden> writes:

> While this is a News feature from what I can discern, I will implement
> it in the Rmail reply command with the following semantics:

Mail-Followup-To is a mail feature only.

Mail-Copies-To was intended for mail and news, but only gained
popularity for news.  Given the existence of MFT I don't think it is
important to support.

> If either a Mail-Followup-To or Mail-Copies-To header exists in the
> message being replied to AND the user has not edited the default
> reply-to list at mail-send time, then the followup header(s) will be
> processed and any mailboxes indicated by the header(s) will be
> included in the reply.  "never" and "nobody" will be treated as
> synonymous, as will "always" and "poster".

Eh, I don't know what you mean by the "default reply-to".  If it is
what is presented to the user by default in the "To" and "CC" fields
when composing a reply, I think MFT and MCT should change the "default
reply-to".

Basically, both headers only affect the behaviour of the "wide reply"
command.  If you make a wide reply to a message where Mail-Followup-To
is set, the "To" field will be set to the specified adress, and "CC"
will be empty.  If you make a wide reply to a message where
Mail-Copies-To is set, that adress will be added to the default CC,
along with any other adresses that would usually be there.  Unless the
value is never/nobody, in which case the poster will be removed from
the default CC field.

> If the User edits the reply-to list, then one could argue that it is
> the wish of the replier to ignore the wishes of the poster.

Gnus will give a warning in that case.