Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:13:39 +0300

> Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:40:07 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
>     Basically, we are talking about two possible classes of cases here:
>
>       - binary files
>
>       - text files produced by broken programs
>
>     In the first case, what Emacs does now is the Right Thing.
>
> Would the other behavior really be much less right,
> in the case of a binary file?

The other behavior inhibits all EOL conversions, so it shows the
contents of a binary file's more accurately.  That's not an
overwhelming advantage, but I don't see any significant advantages in
the suggested change, either.  In the absence of significant
advantages, I think the defaults should not change.