Re: customize-face

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: customize-face
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:33:55 +0200

>     Alex Schroeder's face-list.el provides `customize-face-at' and
>     `describe-face-at' for precisely this sort of situation. I find
>     them to be very useful, and bind them to C-c f c and C-c f d.
>
> Could you send me this code, and his email address?

;;; face-list.el --- convenience functions for face customization

;; Copyright (C) 2000  Alex Schroeder <address@hidden>

;; Author: Alex Schroeder <address@hidden>
;; Maintainer: Alex Schroeder <address@hidden>
;; Version: 1.0.0

;; This file is not part of GNU Emacs.

;; This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
;; the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
;; Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
;; version.

;; This is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
;; ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
;; FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License
;; for more details.

;; along with GNU Emacs; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the
;; Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston,
;; MA 02111-1307, USA.

;;; Commentary:

;; This code allows you to browse the list of defined faces and to
;; quickly call a face customization buffer for the face at point,
;; thereby facilitating the job of a color theme author.

;; buffer into `faces-list-mode'.  That modes provides two extra key
;; bindings; one of them calls `face-describe' for the face at point,
;; the other calls `customize-face' for the face at point.

;; The two functions to describe and customize the face at point can be
;; called from anywhere; they are `describe-face-at' and
;; `customize-face-at'.  If you are working with Emacs and discover a
;; face you don't like, put point on some text with the offending face
;; and type M-x customize-face-at RET.

;;; Code:

(defadvice list-faces-display (after do-faces-list-mode activate)
  "Start faces-list-mode after listing the faces."
  (set-buffer (get-buffer "*Faces*"))
  (faces-list-mode))

(defun faces-list-mode ()
  "Major mode to examine and modify faces.

Use \\[describe-face-at] to describe the face at point.
Use \\[customize-face-at] to customize the face at point."
  (kill-all-local-variables)
  (setq major-mode 'faces-list-mode)
  (setq mode-name "Faces")
  (use-local-map faces-list-mode-map)
  (setq buffer-read-only t))

(defvar faces-list-mode-map
  (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
    (define-key map (kbd "e") 'customize-face-at)
    (define-key map (kbd "RET") 'customize-face-at)
    (define-key map (kbd "d") 'describe-face-at)
    (define-key map (kbd "?") 'describe-face-at)
    (define-key map (kbd "q") 'bury-buffer)
    map)
  "Mode map used for `faces-list-mode'.")

(defun describe-face-at ()
  "Describe face at point."
  (interactive)
  (describe-face (get-face-at)))

(defun customize-face-at ()
  "Customize face at point."
  (interactive)
  (customize-face (get-face-at)))

(defun get-face-at ()
  "Determine face at point using `get-char-property'.
If char at point has no face property, examine the text on the same line
as point as well."
  (let ((face (get-char-property (point) 'face)))
    (unless face
      (let ((start (point)))
        (while (null (or (setq face (get-char-property (point) 'face))
                         (eolp)))
          (forward-char 1))))
    (unless face
      (let ((start (point)))
        (while (null (or (setq face (get-char-property (point) 'face))
                         (bolp)))
          (forward-char -1))))
    (unless face
        (error "No face selected."))