Re: init_buffer PWD fix

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: init_buffer PWD fix
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:10:36 -0400

> From: MIYASHITA
> Hisashi(=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCNVwyPBsoQiAbJEI+MBsoQjpISU1J?=)
>  <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 02:13:30 +0900
>
> I can imagin many bad situations.  Suppose the following
> situation as an example.
>
> (1) sh or tcsh set "PWD" and the current directory to "c:/PROGRA~1"
> (1) (this name is
>     the short name of "c:/Program Files"), and then invokes a
> (1) program.
>
> (2) the invoked program set the current directory to "c:/Program
> (2) Files"
>     by SetCurrentDirectory().
>
> (3) then it invokes Emacs.
>
> I confirmed that by invoking tcsh.exe -> cmd.exe -> emacs.exe.
>
> In this case, Emacs set the default directory to "c:/PROGRA~1",
> which is clearly
> different from the expected value.

I can throw together an example where the opposite is true: the value
of PWD is better than what GetCurrentDirectory returns.

In any case, both c:/PROGRA~1 and c:/Program Files point to the same
directory, so this is at best an aesthetic annoyance.

> I can agree on the current code on many
> UNIX systems.  And surely it's convenient.
>
> On Windows, however, it's not only useless but also harmful, I
> think.

OTOH, differences in behavior on different platforms are not a good
idea, either.  It makes the documentation either confusing or
incorrect, and it confuses people who need to work on several
different platforms.