Re: init_buffer PWD fix

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: init_buffer PWD fix
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

> From: MIYASHITA Hisashi(=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCNVwyPBsoQiAbJEI+MBsoQjpISU1J?=)
>  <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:30:35 +0900
>
> I think that we MUST NOT use "PWD" environment variable to obtain
> the current directory because it's never standardized.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's never standardized".  PWD is part
of the POSIX standard.  It's true that one can have a problem when
mixing POSIX and non-POSIX shells, since the latter don't update PWD
and this can cause PWD to become incorrect; but this is becoming less
of an issue with time, and anyway Emacs does have a workaround for it.

It appears that people who use a POSIX-like environment in Windows are
likely to run into this issue, so the Windows port should act as much
as possible like a standard POSIX port.

I like the idea of fixing w32.c `stat' so that it returns a reasonable
inode for directories; that will fix the problem in general, not just here.