Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:26:55 +0200

Terje Bless <address@hidden> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>Pressing `C-x b <tab>' gives you a "completions" buffer
>
> And *poof* you've just thrown me into a new world; "Mommy this is
> _confusing_! My window just split in two and half my text is hidden. I
> don't know what to do!"

What do you use to open files?

This is a genuine question.  I have the feeling that anyone who has
evern used TAB after C-x C-f will know what is going on, as the
completions feature is the same everywhere in Emacs.  But I learned
about TAB after C-x C-f in 1989 when using Jove, so my memory about
my own feelings after C-x b might well be wrong.  (In fact, I think
for some years I thought that C-x b isn't really useful, since I
could use C-x C-f with much the same effect: I came to the existing
buffer, at the same spot.  I recall thinking why is there C-x b if C-x
C-f is also fast?  This was still using Jove.)

kai
--
Silence is foo!