Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:18:08 +0300

> From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:54:10 +0300
>
> > Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:16:46 -0600 (MDT)
> > From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> >
> >       - the definition of whitespace will become mode-dependent;
> >
> > Really?  Which modes change this?
>
> I don't know whether there's a mode that actually changes the syntax
> of whitespace characters.  But it's conceivable, no?

I see that the following packages modify the syntactic class of some
characters to be whitespace or redefine whitespace characters to have
some non-whitespace syntax:

  completion.el (where whitespace is the default class)
  font-lock.el (*may* do this if font-lock-defaults request that)
  gnus-score.el (makes digits have whitespace syntax)
  ietf-drums.el (makes punctuation characters have whitespace syntax)
  mml.el (ditto)
  imenu.el (*may* do so if imenu-syntax-alist requests that)
  some modes such as ada-mode and awk-mode modify the syntax of \f, \n, \r
  scheme.el defines ` and ' to have whitespace syntax
  speedbar defines many characters to have whitespace syntax
  bibtex (defines ~ to be whitespace)
  texinfmt (defines \ to be whitespace)

(I'm not sure I've seen all the possible cases).

So I think the conclusion is that it's rare, but does happen.