Re: Fringe in Show/Hide menu?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Fringe in Show/Hide menu?
Date: 02 Apr 2002 23:52:09 +0200

>     There is one problem - I do not see an easy way of saving this to .emacs
>     via customize. Do you have an idea?
>
> You need to first define a customizable variable to control the
> feature.  Look at the defcustom for menu-bar-mode to see how that can
> be done.  Then the menu commands can work by calling a function that
> sets that variable and calling customize-mark-as-set.
>
> However, I think it is a very bad idea to nest the menus so deeply.
> It is inconvenient to go down thru so many menus.
>
> Instead of having a submenu of fringe hiding commands, it is better
> to have one command that cycles thru all 4 possibilities.

I disagree.  If the menus are sensible named and structured, I'd
prefer to go through an extra level of menus _once_, rather than
having to go through the whole menu selection _several_ times to cycle
through the unwanted choices (and how do I know what the alternatives
are without doing so?).

> I think menu-bar-showhide-scroll-bar-menu is also inconvenient and
> should be replaced with a single command to cycle thru all 3
> possibilities.

IMO, the current interface is much more user friendly than your
proposal.

And it is still simpler than:

 Help -> Describe -> Describe Language Environment -> European -> latin-1