Re: Re[1]: struct.el -- a package to encode/decode binary data

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Re[1]: struct.el -- a package to encode/decode binary data
Date: 19 Mar 2002 13:56:31 +0100

"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:

> I wrote something for packing X messages via a TCP socket.  You could
> define the message in a vector and it would pack and unpack the item.
> It was X centric, and you could encode sizes for X's dynamic length
> fields.

I looked at your code, and I can see we are touching on similar
grounds here, but there are quite fundamental differences in each
approach, so I guess both packages will have their uses (and users).

Notably, my package separates format and data in a pretty generic way,
while your package tends to mix data and format which is less generic,
but probably somewhat easier to use for some purposes.

Also, your package has much more versatile ways of recognizing /
guessing the actual format of some data -- but I think that part is
pretty X-centric in its current form.

I'll probably have to look into this aspect for my package to be
more complete (I have some ideas about how to add `union' support).