Re: Unify on encoding

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Unify on encoding
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 01:44:16 -0700 (MST)

    I'm guessing that quite a few people are using the CVS version nowadays,
    so the option was, in a certain sense, ``released''.

As a matter of principle, this is NOT a reason to keep a feature which
we decide is unnecessary.  People who use the CVS version do so at
their own risk.  We must firmly reject the idea that the CVS version
exists for other than our development purposes.

    > Instead I think it's a mistake to introduce this new user option since
    > there's no reason to ever turn off the feature.

    I think we don't know yet if there is a reason to turn that off.

Let's take it out and see if anyone complains.