Re: address@hidden: asymmetries and contradictions in shell navigation u

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: address@hidden: asymmetries and contradictions in shell navigation using C-a and C-e on a prompt line]
Date: 19 Mar 2002 00:39:24 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> What happens if you have two fields next to each other -- in that
> case, the inside of one field is the outside the other field - and
> vice versa.

This is not a problem.  The only important case is where one of these
commands would from `outside' to `inside' in a way that's counter-intuitive.

> > Unfortunately, the most common use of fields currently is in the
> > minibuffer, and it uses a `nil' field property as the `inside'
> > (and puts a non-nil field property on the prompt, to distinguish it).
>
> Which indicates to me that your proposed solutions isn't the right one.

Why?

> But we already handle the minibuffer correctly, so this
> will continue to work

No, the minibuffer suffers from the same `problem' that comint does.
It's just not commonly enountered by users, because they usually don't
move into the prompt.

> if we don't start messing up the existing movement & killing
> functions!!!

What are you talking about?

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'