Re: Non-blocking open-network-stream

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Non-blocking open-network-stream
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 08:59:02 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> (do we have papers for that?)

No.  If needed, I will sign papers.

> However, I think it can be done via open-network-stream:
>
> If the HOST argument is nil, a server socket is opened which
> accepts connections.  The sentinel is called - with a newly
> created process - whenever a connections is accepted.

I see several problems with this approach:

 - What is the process-name for the connections?  The same as for the
   server socket?  All connections with the same name?

 - How do you open a Unix server socket?

 - It's possible to open Unix server sockets.  It would be reasonable
   to support Unix client sockets too.  How can this be done?

 - What should NON-BLOCKING mean for server sockets?

 - open-network-stream takes already 7 arguments.  Putting even more
   functionality in makes it hard to document.

Server sockets are IMHO different enough to merit a separate
function.  What is the advantage of merging those concepts?