Re: Should customizing default-frame-alist change existing frames?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Should customizing default-frame-alist change existing frames?
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:33:15 +0100

> I can see two solutions:
>
> 1. Change the doc string to say that existing frames will not be
>    affected by setting default-frame-alist, only new ones.
>
> 2. Add a :set method that applies the frame parameters to all existing
>    frames.

> What do you think?

Perhaps applying the changes to the current frame and any new ones.

Making a customize change for the frame and not seeing the current frame
"adapt" to the changes would be confusing for beginners. More often than
not, the user is going to customize from inside the frame he's working
on, precisely because he does want to change it.

If a user makes the mistake of customizing from inside a special frame
I'd bet he (assuming is not experienced) is doing some exploring 'round
and he'll be able to understand his error.

OTOH, changing all existing frames could be fragile, I think.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u