Re: y-or-n dialog box hides behind frame when trying to reach it.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: y-or-n dialog box hides behind frame when trying to reach it.
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:36:12 +0100 (CET)

>     You can listen to XCirculateRequestEvent and XConfigureNotifyEvent to
>     determine if a window has changed stacking order.  I would
>     consider the behaviour described as a bug in the window manager,
>     if the dialog has set the TRANSIENT_FOR property, which I am sure it
>     has.
>
> Could you check and see if it has that property?
> Erajonj, what toolkit did you build Emacs with?

In the bug report, the configure used Lucid.  Lucid uses libXaw to
make dialogs, the other alternative for Emacs is Motif.  Dialogs
created with these toolkits does set the property (I also checked
to be absolutly sure).

I checked the behaviour on CDE and it is easily reproduced
with that window manager.  There is an option "Allow Primary Windows On
Top" that seems to be on by default.  If one turns that off, CDE behaves
as all other window managers I tested (6 or 7), that is it does not cover
dialogs with the primary window.

Erajonj, try turning that option off and see if you get the behaviour
you want.

        Jan D.