Re: etags for C++

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: etags for C++
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:40:47 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

> People usually write commands in Makefile to run etags.
> I don't see that it is very useful to have Lisp programs
> to run it.

Putting on my Emacs Apostle hat, I find in my work with my colleagues
that they have difficulties in running etags.  For a complex project, a
command such as this:

        find /project/root -name '*.[ch]' | xargs -n 2000 etags

let alone the complications with additional file-name extensions like
.cpp etc., is typically beyond many users' knowledge.  Since they don't
know what the command is, they can't put it into their Makefiles,
either.  Non-Unix platforms introduce an additional complication into
this (no `find' installed etc.)

So perhaps it could be a good idea to have an Emacs command that would
accept a few inputs, like the top-level directory and whether to recurse
into its subdirectories, and will then run etags as appropriate.