Re: Crash on loading image

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Crash on loading image
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:57:43 -0700 (MST)

    But do you really think that they distribute more GNU than Linux?

I am quite confident of it.  Back in 1995, the GNU programs were 10
times the size of Linux.  If Linux has grown since then, so have the
GNU programs.

But even more important than the size of code is the fact that we
started the whole thing.  We are the ones who set out to develop a
complete free operating system, and the fact that any of them exist is
because of our determination.  GNU is more than the collection of GNU
programs.  We decided to develop GNU, a complete free system, and we
wrote the GNU programs as part of doing that.

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html for more explanation.

    Should I then refer
    to SuSE as commercial Linux/XFree/Sun/GNU distributor?

It is redundant to mention XFree, since that is part of the GNU
system; we included it in GNU before Linux was written.  But you can
mention it if you like, and you can mention Sun too if you wish.  If
you would like to call the system GNU/Sun/XFree/Linux, I won't argue.
That name is more accurate than "Linux".

However, those who feel that name is too long to be practical, and
wish to shorten it, should omit secondary contributions such as Sun,
XFree and/or Linux, rather than omitting the primary contribution, GNU.