Re: Session management patch, please comment.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Session management patch, please comment.
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:32:24 -0700 (MST)

    I believe the normal approach when calling lisp functions from C is to
    run a hook, i.e. call the function(s) bound to a variable defined in C.

Not necessarily.  We handle this in various ways.  Sometimes a hook
is useful, sometimes not.

    Using `special-event-map' as you do is the right approach (I think).

I agree.

    I don't quite understand.  What purpose does the
    emacs-session-save-function serve, why not call a lisp function directly?

emacs-session-save-function would serve no purpose as far as I can see.
We might as well put the code of that function directly into the
function that calls it.

However, to have a non-normal hook emacs-session-save-functions,
a list of functions, might be useful.  Various packages might
add hooks to this list.