Re: Two new entries in menu-bar's Tools menu

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Two new entries in menu-bar's Tools menu
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:10:14 +0100

> turn-on-auto-fill is a function, not an option, so I am confused
> and not sure what you meant to say.

I was refering to this:

(defcustom text-mode-hook nil
  "Normal hook run when entering Text mode and many related modes."
  :type 'hook
  :options '(turn-on-auto-fill flyspell-mode)
  :group 'data)

When you customize text-mode-hook, turn-on-auto-fill and flyspell-mode
will be listed as checkbox options.

> So I think the Options menu should probably have an item that controls
> use of Flyspell mode in Text derivatives, just as it has one that
> controls use of Auto Full in Text derivatives.

Stefan suggestion of using define-minor-mode sound good.  Will you do
it Stefan?

>     Hmm.. Should toggle-text-mode-auto-fill be made a customize option?
>     And maybe rename it to global-auto-fill-mode?  It could be implemented
>     with custom :get and :set methods.
>
> Maybe, but I wonder: is it possible to provide a more general
> customization facility for controlling minor mode enablement
> in various major modes?  That might provide a very clean way
> to customize where you do or don't want Auto Fill, or Flyspell,
> or whatever.

Maybe.  The :options above give us a "for each major mode, select
which minor modes to turn on.  The opposite "for each minor mode,
select which major modes to turn it on" might be useful too.