Re: mode-line-inactive and toggle-input-method

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: mode-line-inactive and toggle-input-method
Date: 16 Feb 2002 23:34:51 +0100

> It seems like under some circumstances, the selected window is still
> displayed with an inactive mode line.  With today's CVS, try this:
>
>    emacs -q --no-site-file
>    C-x 4 f FTP RET
>    M-% C-u C-\ latin-2-prefix RET 'i
>
> (The "C-u C-\" part is needed if you want to replace non-ASCII
> characters: it lets you select a non-default input method.)  Watch
> closely: as soon as you type "C-u C-\", the mode line of the selected
> window becomes displayed in the mode-line-inactive face.  Perhaps the
> code gets confused because fact that read-input-method binds
> enable-recursive-minibuffers to t?

You are right.
If you try looking at minibuffer-scroll-window, it contains the
previous minibuffer while entering latin-2-p....

What's even worse is that if you hit TAB at that point, the completion
window appears - with the mode line indicating it as the selected window.

So the idea to use minibuffer-scroll-window as the "selected window"
while the minibuffer window is selected has some drawbacks.

I guess I need to make a new internal variable similar to
"minibuffer-scroll-window" which does NOT change while the minibuffer
window is the selected window...