Re: mailabbrev.el, mailalias.el and related package.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: mailabbrev.el, mailalias.el and related package.
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:53:35 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

      Can you tell me which of the recent bugs (if any) your package
      does NOT fix?  And can you fix them?

Unfortunately, until recently I did not know about the fact that bug
reports did not only get posted on gnu.emacs.bug, but also on the
address@hidden mailing list.  I just subscribed this evening.
Gerd did not ask me to watch either this site or gnu.emacs.bug.  (He
did tell me to contact this site when I contacted him more recently.)
Hence, I did not even watch the site I did know about too carefully.  I
just assumed Gerd would contact me if anybody reported problems on the
things I was working on.  I did not know that Gerd was no longer at
the FSF.

As mentioned, my package does fix the problems in the report I
included in my original message.

I will mail you a report on the bug report you forwarded me shortly.

In as far as the one other one I noticed while wading through the
February archives:

       I am thinking that it is wasteful to load sendmail.el
       if the user is using message.el instead.

This is exactly the main thing I still need to worry about.  My package
is essentially ready in as far as RMAIL is concerned, which is the
mailer I use, but I still need to worry how it affects message mode.
My package presently loads sendmail, but that could change.
I will have to take a look at message.el.  I have not yet done so.

Was your message below the final word on the subject?

(require 'mailabbrev)

Richard Stallman address@hidden
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 22:18:35 -0700 (MST)

It would be wasteful to load a substantial file just to use 5 lines of
code.  Does this patch fix it?

*** mailabbrev.el.~1.63.~       Sat Feb  9 04:45:14 2002
--- mailabbrev.el       Sat Feb  9 05:24:37 2002
***************
*** 418,424 ****
         (looking-at mail-abbrev-mode-regexp))
       ;;
       ;; ...and are we in the headers?
!      (< (point) (mail-header-end)))))

  (defvar mail-mode-abbrev-table) ; quiet the compiler

--- 418,429 ----
         (looking-at mail-abbrev-mode-regexp))
       ;;
       ;; ...and are we in the headers?
!      (< (point)
!       (save-restriction
!         (widen)
!         (save-excursion
!           (rfc822-goto-eoh)
!           (point)))))))

  (defvar mail-mode-abbrev-table) ; quiet the compiler

I do not, at present, know about any other bug reports posted about
mailabbrev.el on this site.  I could try to wade some more through the
archives.