Re: lost argument and doc string

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: lost argument and doc string
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:43:56 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tak Ota wrote:

> I did the same experiment, running make-docfile manually on simple.el,
> and got surprised.  And the source file is requesting the sequence
> `dquote bslash newline' as the beginning of the valid doc string in
> case of el files.  I don't think this is right.  Starting doc string
> that way is only optional I believe.

Please make sure that any changes you make in this don't break
loaddefs.el.  I believe loaddefs is the reason for that requirement of
how the doc string should begin (since loaddefs is generated by a
program, there's no problem satisfying that requirement in that case).  I
imagine that there was some reason to require such a format, in which
case we should avoid breaking that.

Richard, do you recall why this format was required?