Re: "About Emacs" menu item?

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: "About Emacs" menu item?
Date: 31 Jan 2002 14:47:42 +0000

address@hidden (Pavel Janík) wrote:

>    From: John Paul Wallington <address@hidden>
>    Date: 31 Jan 2002 02:46:31 +0000
>
>    > Perhaps the "about Emacs" menu item could do something else, other
>    > than display the splash screen.  It could be more verbose.
>
> Can you explain more, please?

I could be more verbose ? :)

There is no reason why selecting the "about Emacs" menu item need
display the startup-message.  The startup-message tells the user about
important Help Menu and File Menu items, but doesn't tell an awful lot
About Emacs.

When the user has chosen to select the "about Emacs" menu item it is
fair to assume he is prepared to read a little, and to present him
with more information.

Selecting the "about Emacs" menu item could create a new buffer with
the Emacs logo at the top and then include a couple of paragraphs of
text about Emacs.  I'm not sure what information Emacs should convey
to a user about itself, however.

--
John Paul Wallington