Re: transient-mark-mode and region highlighting

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode and region highlighting
Date: 28 Jan 2002 20:22:30 +0000

> > From: address@hidden (Pavel =?iso-8859-2?q?Jan=EDk?=)
> > Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:02:12 +0100
> >
> > last time I tried turning transient-mark-mode on, I gave up almost
> > instantly with the same reason as ever before: it did highlighting
> > a lot...
>
> My biggest gripe about transient-mark-mode is that "C-x C-x"
> highlights the region.  That is a terrible nuisance for me, since I
> use "C-x C-x" A LOT.  It's possible that there are other operations
> which cause the highlight and which might annoy others.
>
> How about an option that the region will only become active when
> explicitly marked (with a mouse)?

I find pc-selection-mode does exactly what I want. It only activates
the mark when the mouse or Shift-movement keys are used, and leaves it
alone when C-@/C-space are used.  I can't immediately see how it does
this, since it enables transient-mark-mode as part of its
initialization, but doesn't use advice, hooks or rebindings of C-@ as
far as I can see. It does rebind other keys though (C-x C-x is rebound
to exchange-point-and-mark-nomark for example).

--
Jason Rumney